Monday, June 15, 2009

What is Contemplation?

Before I get too serious, above is a shot of me at the finish of the Maryville Marathon.

Now to the topic: Contemplation

What does it mean to be contemplative? There is plenty of stuff you can read in books; official definitions and opinions of authorities. What I say is what it means to me. To me, it means to observe the illusion and then think beyond, or listen beyond, to the abstract existentiality of God, which exists everywhere. This activity is actually what I want to do with my life. While running I watch the runner and look beyond to the runner’s abstract notion; seeking to see the true divine notion living in that illusion.

My summer of ultra-training is a summer of contemplation. It includes not only running, but also the activity of sitting; silent contemplation as it were. I, the contemplative, practice the sitting and look beyond to the essence of myself, pure divine love, spirit alone.

Contemplation is an attractive vocation. Touching, seeing and communicating with that which is beyond is attractive. Like a bee to honey, I sense or know the presence and stop to experience it. No, this is not elation, ecstasy or rapture. I just know the communication happens and I want to do it again.

No comments: