Friday, June 5, 2009

The Road to Maryville - Day 5 of Taper

Fridays are my special days. I get up about 25 minutes early in order to have a few extra minutes for spiritual reading and a few extra minutes for running.

My brain was very quiet this morning. Peace had descended. Mental peace causes you to wonder if you really want peace. It seems I usually start a project to undo peace as soon as things get to be too quiet. After the meditation, I lifted weights and jog/walked for 75 minutes. Jog/walk is my low impact alternative to be used for ultra marathons. It amazes me how you can do this for hours and not tear up your legs.

It was a very pleasant morning for a run. I pondered how I have changed since deciding to go in a 50 mile race. The woman who ran a 1:55 half mary in April and could have run a BQ for a full mary no longer exists. I am not her. I have had to learn the low impact pacing. My world has become one of time alone, not distance or competition or qualification or awards. Letting go of the speed angle fits well with inner peace.

A line from A Course in Miracles (ACIM): In your heart, the Heart of God is laid.
.
I got on the scales this morning and I still haven't gained weight. I have not been overeating for awhile and even peanut butter has loosened its hold on me.

I saw one big skunk. Luckily, he saw me and crawled into a drain pipe while I went past. It’s funny to think of my relationship with skunks. I frequently smell them when I'm jogging in the early morning. I have a certain affinity with them. I myself go and hide, preferring not to interact with the world. My defensive mechanisms even work the same way. While not nocturnal, I do like to wander around in the early morning.

SKUNK SYMBOLISM


The skunk brings us an awareness of self-respect. When we fully accept who we are and learn to express the essence of ourselves, without ego, we attract those who share our path and repel those who don't. Skunk medicine is the original "Walk your talk." It is about developing a good self-image.

We would all do well to take this animal symbolism from the skunk: Do no harm. Indeed, as a totem animal, the skunk asks us to defend ourselves effectively, without causing further conflict.
Interestingly, the skunk would prefer to be even less assertive. You see, it takes over a week to reproduce its stinky juices after using them (their glands are only good for about 4 sprays). Ergo, the skunk is 100% sure it must spray before doing so as this defense tool is a commodity in the wild - not to be wasted on false alarms.
In recognizing this, we see the skunk is the ultimate pacifist, and by adopting its peace-loving ways we may obtain the carefree lifestyle this creature enjoys.

No comments: