Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sponsorship

  • To the Holy Spirit, there is no order of difficulty in miracles. This is familiar enough to you by now, but it has not yet become believable. Therefore, you do not understand it and cannot use it. We have too much to accomplish on behalf of the Kingdom to let this crucial concept slip away. It is a real foundation stone of the thought system I teach and want you to teach. You cannot perform miracles without believing it, because it is a belief in perfect equality. Only one equal gift can be offered to the equal Sons of God, and that is full appreciation. Nothing more and nothing less. Without a range order of difficulty is meaningless, and there must be no range in what you offer to your brother.
I have been sober in AA a very long time. In AA, there are no "teachers" and no professional class. But, a new person should ask someone who knows how to work the steps for guidance and support. This is called sponsorship. New people who get sponsors and follow instructions have a much better chance of achieving sobriety. Sobriety is not just not drinking; but a spiritual way of life, a spiritual way of being, which is entirely different than "just not drinking."

I have not been a very good sponsor and usually decline the request because I am an honest straight shooter. I'll tell you the truth very directly without any fluff to gentle the impact. Of course, people don't like this. I am aware of this and disclose it to anyone asking me to be their sponsor. Most people want coddling, and they go ask someone else to be their sponsor.

Now...a fascinating story.

I am currently working as an environmental engineer. I am a vegan. I run marathons. I live a celebate life. I study A Course in Miracles. I live in a small town. I have no children and have never been married. I am an ex-nun who, after getting kicked out of the monastery, eventually left the church. Five years ago, I got kicked out of the monastery. I had 18 years of sobriety and a box of clothes. My score card read zero. I couldn't get a job in my pre-monastery profession (engineering) but I did get a job as a cashier at Panera bread. My experience of leaving monastic life left me with no self esteem, so I was very happy that anyone would hire me.

In the past five years, my career circumstances have changed; but I love remembering the year I worked as a humble cashier. Now...enter Susan (not her real name). Susan is very different than me; but as we say in AA, "We are people who would normally not mix." I had seen Susan around AA the past five years, but not recently. But, in a meeting over a month ago, she told a story of how she had just got out of prison. She had been there as a result of drug involvement and is now a felon. She is a single mom. A few days ago, I noticed she was working at Panera. This past Saturday, I was scouting around Panera to say hi to her; and she was just going on break so I got to talk to her.

I told her about how I knew the work was hard; but it was a place to laugh and to get your feet on the ground. She said she was looking for a sponsor and wondered where I lived (unfortunately, about 45 miles away). I told her that most people don't like me as a sponsor because I usually kick their ass. But I gave her my phone number and urged her to call. She actually is tough enough to stand an ass kicking.

She called me today. I was thrilled. I told Jesus I would like to work with her so I can grow myself.

No comments: