Here is the commitment statement I made on day 1 of my Daniel Fast:
In the Spirit of Daniel:
1. I seek knowledge and understanding of all kinds; including understanding of visions (Daniel 1)
2. I seek to see the man dressed in linen, and to understand the Book of Truth (Daniel 10)
3. I seek to re-dedicate my life to the Kingdom; by focusing on this and nothing else.
4. I seek wisdom in the most basic element of my life: sustenance. I am completely unhappy that, even though I run 50 to 70 miles a week, I still gain weight. I need a spiritual break through to learn what to eat, how much and when. I am so completely unhappy instead of enjoying myself as a child of God.
5. I seek a spiritual basis of my life. Just trying to abstain without the power of God is meaningless, and it seems not to work.
6. I seek gratitude for all Jesus has done to help me.
7. I resolve to abstain from royal (party or junk) foods for 40 days. At a minimum this includes:
- Cheezits and cookies from the snack machine.
- Processed soy products such as Chicken Patties and Steak Starters.
- Butter, and half and half.
- Asigo bagels
- Potato Soup (preservatives, milk)
- Peanut butter (sugar, comfort food)
- Coffee (but not green tea) in order to eliminate creamer (and its chemicals)
- Eating only unleavened bread = whole grain stone ground pita bread.
- Salad dressing with preservatives.
- Free Cell – eating while playing cards on the computer.
- I haven’t mentioned a number of other items because I already don’t eat meat or drink alcohol.
8. Things allowed are: Gu during long runs, Master Cleanser (would have maple syrup), homemade salad dressing (would have honey but no preservatives), spirulina, chlorella, and other vitamins.
9. What I really want to do is not cheat myself or God for 40 days.
10. I want to lose about 5 pounds, but the goal is God supported discipline in eating. That is, I don’t rationalize cheating because I am honoring God.
I can do a Daniel Fast for 40 days and keep the commitment. Juice fasts don’t last that long because I lose too much weight; so I never commit to anything.
Right now, I need to keep a commitment. I can stop myself from cheating by saying, “no I am on a Daniel Fast.” This thought invokes the power of God to direct my life.
But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.
To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.
a revelation was given to Daniel (who was called Belteshazzar). Its message was true and it concerned a great war. [a] The understanding of the message came to him in a vision.
2 At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. 3 I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.
4 On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great river, the Tigris, 5 I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of the finest gold around his waist. 6 His body was like chrysolite, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude.
7 I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; the men with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. 8 So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. 9 Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground.
10 A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. 11 He said, "Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you." And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling.
12 Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. 13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. 14 Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come."
15 While he was saying this to me, I bowed with my face toward the ground and was speechless. 16 Then one who looked like a man [b] touched my lips, and I opened my mouth and began to speak. I said to the one standing before me, "I am overcome with anguish because of the vision, my lord, and I am helpless. 17 How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe."
18 Again the one who looked like a man touched me and gave me strength. 19 "Do not be afraid, O man highly esteemed," he said. "Peace! Be strong now; be strong." When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, "Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength."
20 So he said, "Do you know why I have come to you? Soon I will return to fight against the prince of Persia, and when I go, the prince of Greece will come; 21 but first I will tell you what is written in the Book of Truth.