Wednesday, March 28, 2012

God Reliance

Success in A Course in Miracles depends on a growing belief in God and reliance on God.

I first learned about surrendering my life to God in the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. It really is God dependence which keeps the alcoholic from drinking; because the brain of the alcoholic is programmed to drink. It is impossible for an alcoholic to behave otherwise. Will power is completely irrelevant in the face of brain programming.

I think that brain programming is all any of us has. We can't correct certain habits because our biology won't let us, and the world around us doesn't support any changes (ie over eating).

I don't appear to be an over eater. That is just cuz I work out 2 hours a day. I've tracked calories for years and eaten according to the numbers. I actually have no idea how to eat according to my body's needs and not according to my brain's desires.

I really would like to learn to eat just what I need. That is a very difficult idea because my brain is programmed to eat as much as possible of the food that is sitting all around me. I don't think I can change without the help of a Higher Power; and this brings me back to A Course in Miracles and my need to go deeper and deeper into a God consciousness.

My lesson for the day:
I give my life to God to guide today.
I will step back and merely follow You.
It has been given me to change what I believe.

Think about those statements and listen to all the little thoughts that come up. No, almost no one actually really truly believes in God.

No comments: