Thursday, May 21, 2009

Multi-day - Day 1

I began my 5 day Multi-day event yesterday evening at about 5 pm. I put on the new Sahara hiking shorts and hiking boots and hiked 4 laps around the course; a 2 mile loop of hilly dirt road.

Today I continued my personal multi-day with 18 miles at ultra-marathon pace (walk up/jog down), 9 laps in 3:45; plus the weight lifting. Then I showered, vacuumed all the floors and now I am having a smoothie.

While jogging, I ate one peanut butter w/honey sandwich on wheat, 2 Gu and about 40 oz of Succeed mixed 1.5 times directions with 2 packets of Emergen-C added. The Emergen-C really boosts the vitamin C and potassium plus a few other goodie vitamins.

The marathoner in me scoffs at spending nearly 4 hours running 18 miles. The ultra-marathoner thinks I'm doing great. Actually, I've always wanted to be able to spend long long periods of time just keeping moving. Now, I am, for the first time ever, free in that world.

I was up at 4 am for one and a half hours of spiritual study. I realized I have at least 3 gifts today: First, I woke up with no aches or pains. Second, the multi-day is for its own sake. It is not in conjunction with some training goal. It is established as an event with its own unique experiences. Third, I am running the multi-day as spirit, with awarenes of Christ within. My inner running is running into the inner silence. The outer running is running through the veils of illusion which appear to be a real world. The time spent in prayer during the multi-day is as important as the time spent doing laps. I'm spending gobs of spiritual energy along with the gobs of physical energy.

At the end of today's run, it was about 70F. I was feeling hot and tired and reality hit home: I have decided to do something hard, or at least challenging to me in body, mind and spirit. The thought of not going back to hike this afternoon crossed my mind: Why not just lay on the bed and read? I don't have an answer to that. I could you know. So if I do what I want to do (continue the laps), it will be amazing.

To patiently stick with the multi-day is to practice ultra-sobriety. The sober person lives one day at at time and they keep coming back.

No comments: