Monday, June 13, 2011

Determination...

...to succeed at The Task.

Its that self transcendence time of year. The 3,100 mile Self Transcendence Race has started. 10 runners will run around a block in NYC for the next 52 days, covering the distance in daily chunks of 50 to 70 miles. Enlightening blog is here: http://perfectionjourney.org/

This race is what inspired my urge to complete ultra-marathons. It is also a microcosm of my life.

Last night, the man next door was talking in his room at about 11 pm. So I installed ear plugs thinking I'd wake up as usual at about 1 am to take them out so I'd hear the alarm at 3:11. I slept all the way to 3:11. I don't remember hearing the alarm and I thought it was about 2 am until I looked at the clock and saw it was 3:11 am. Anyway, I made it out of bed. Getting up at the alarm time was my only goal for the morning. The reward was an extra cup of tea and spiritual study. Study is part of The Task.

Part of my spiritual study included the question: why be an athlete?  The power behind my training comes through a channel which tunnels out of my metaphysical heart. I have successfully opened the channel. It has nothing to do with measurable performance; as in how fast did you run. It has everything to so with determination to do the daily and improve on the daily parameters: time, strength, diet, fitness, consistency. Fitness is part of The Task.

My mind has been on "Teachers" all weekend. I have a mentor at work whom I'm still trying to figure out how to relate with. I've also been reading about spiritual teachers. It seems I am able to finally list out those I've met in person (Pascaline, Rubin, Ludi, Meg, Rose Marie, plus numerous encounters with messengers) and those I've met in books (Merton, John of the Cross, Brunton, Palmo, Sri Chinmoy, Jesus, Buddha, Rand, Heidegger, at least). I've actually been touched quite alot. I needed to accept the validity of the spiritual connection which is there even if the teacher is not physically present. Learning is part of The Task.

So while I know I need to continue to study, when I asked the question in my early morning silence, I thought: I am the guru. As arrogant as it sounds, it is a deep truth.

No comments: