Friday, May 3, 2013

May Flowers Day 1 Complete

What is it about marathons? I can't explain why, at 24 miles, by myself on a boring bike path in San Antonio, I felt tremendous joy. A Course in Miracles talks about listening to the song. Today, I heard the song.

Can't explain I think its love....

The Who sang it:

Got a feeling inside (Can't explain)
It's a certain kind (Can't explain)
I feel hot and cold (Can't explain)
Yeah, down in my soul, yeah (Can't explain)


Today began very early. I got to the race site at 5:20. Some people had started at 5 and others were planning to start at 6 so only Parvaneh the RD was there when I got there. Did I mention this was a very small race?

It was dark and very cold for Texas. Parvaneh didn't care exactly what time I started, so off I went as soon as I got my gear together. Head light on, I go out onto a concrete bike path. The course is back and forth on this bike path. I like it because I can't handle any trail type challenges with a bad knee. I like doing miles. My shoes felt fantastic.

As time and miles go by, I pass others in the race. We say hello and hi-five each other. It gets light. The day is cloudless but windy.

Miles go by. I wonder what I am doing out here. I'm not breaking any speed records. I think about the guy who has run 250+ marathons in his life and runs as many as he can drive to and still hold down a job. I am sort of a newby at this multi-day marathon game.

It is fascinating to think about why we are there. I don't think an ego can sustain this activity. I mean, its not like there is any fanfare related to this race.

Ont the short out and back I did at the end of the race, I met the girl I'd been just behind all day (as in, she'd be in the aid station as I was coming in, etc.). I cheered her, waving my hands wildly. Tomorrow when I run my second marathon, she'll be at an aid station. My heel did end up feel pretty bad as usual, but oh well.

This weekend is an interesting event. I'm running 2 day time marathons. But they are also putting on 2 night time marathons so a person could actually run 5 marathons in 3 days if they wanted to. Or, they could enter a 10k, half marathon, 50 miles, 100 miles or 48 hours. A lady I admire is running her first 100 miles. I admire her because she is also a metaphysician. I feel kin to her.

So, I've had my salad from Panera now it is time for a nap.

Tomorrow, I'll start my marathon at 5 am and then drive back to Houston.

Today's medal looked like this:


No comments: