Friday, December 7, 2012

Lectio Nights

In the monastery, during Advent, Friday nights were "lectio" nights: a night spent in silence in my cell with The Word as my companion.

Now I am in the world. I ponder silence.

From A Course in Miracles Chapter 27: "...An empty space that is not seen as filled, an unused interval of time not seen as spent and fully occupied, become a silent invitation to the truth to enter, and to make itself at home. No preparation can be made that would enhance the invitation’s real appeal. For what you leave as vacant God will fill, and where He is there must the truth abide....In quietness are all things answered, and is every problem quietly resolved..."

The first word of The Rule of Benedict is "Listen."

I need silence. In silence, I realize I am ok.

It is an unusual weekend for me. Our plant is in a massive shut down and contractors are there 24/7 making repairs. And there I am too. I caved to work demands. I realize I can't run 20 miles and then spend several hours climbing around an industrial complex. The industrial complex wins.

But I still have this precious Lectio night. I put in my ear plugs, jump on an exercise machine and think my divine thoughts.

I've been reading a book about the religious consecration as a spousal relationship. I sort of think the theology is BS as it is explained. But I do not negate the idea that some people prefer to be dedicated as "space for God" (as I quoted above). Consecrated religious or not, some of us ask God to occupy our consciousness'. This is my choice. This is my preferred way of life. I can't escape this reality; even if I live in the world.

No comments: