Friday, March 18, 2011

Aslinger Pre-lude to 50 Miles

In about an hour, I'll get in the car and drive 5 hours to southern Missouri for the Aslinger Endurance run. I hope to complete 50 miles.

Here is my romantic notion of today:

I feel like the unknowing hero sallying forth into an unseen adventure. Today, my inner Jason will step forward to overcome challenges, my inner David will step forward to battle enemies, and my inner Jesus will step forward to be crucified.

This is the intensity of the hero which I seek to set free anytime I go in a long distance race. This hero overcomes my normal inhibitions and impels me to go beyond the practical. It is not the holy grail which is the object of my quest; but within the pain, exhaustion, darkness and aloneness, I hope to find a moment of freedom from my ordinary logical rational mental framework. I hope for a tiny opening where one ray of spiritual light touches my heart.

No comments: