Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Jesus' Prayers for us

I offer these two passages because they reflect each other and each is a reflection of the Truth in my heart. Each is a beautiful prayer of Jesus. Each offers me a light, a focus for my journey.

In the Gospel of John (17:20 to 23) it says:
20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

In A Course in Miracles (28.IV.9) it says:
"I thank You, Father, knowing You will come to close each little gap that lies between the broken pieces of Your holy Son. Your holiness, complete and perfect, lies in every one of them. And they are joined because what is in one is in them all. How holy is the smallest grain of sand, when it is recognized as being part of the completed picture of God's Son! The forms the broken pieces seem to take mean nothing. For the whole is in each one. And every aspect of the Son of God is just the same as every other part."

Sometimes I wonder if I am really serious about spirituality or if it is just a fascinating play toy; something which keeps my brain busy. Do I really believe in God? I’d like to claim that spirituality is the only valid reason for being alive. But sometimes I think I have a spiritual journey only because I hope to get something for myself. My ego desires seem to cover over any spiritual truth. Then, it is easy to forget truth and spend time unconsciously in ego. In ego, I am pursuing spirituality for myself. I become oblivious to my inner depths and the authentic love which resides there. As I question my own seriousness, however, I am able to wake up for a few moments and correct my course back to truth. At these brief moments, I touch my inner truth and feel its embrace. It is always glad to see me.

I ponder myself as a broken piece of the Son of God; and that my worldly persona means nothing. It was good to mean nothing as I went for a 3 mile run this morning. I have no big running plans right at the moment. I'm glad to let go of any glorious pursuit. I'm just a solitary runner in the early morning quiet; an un-special, broken piece of God's Son containing all of God and seeking to join with all the other holy pieces.

No comments: