Saturday, April 18, 2009

Frisco Fifty

4:30 am. Saturday, April 18, 2009

Slept good. Heavy period. Rain looks mostly passed.

Work Book Lesson: “Heaven is the decision I must make. When I am healed, I am not healed alone. My mind holds only what I think with God.” (This was my mental focus for the race. I work on metaphysics while running.)

God I am jumpy. Coffee? Ibuprophen? Fear?

Succeed drink made. Smoothie being made. Nathan packed. Number pinned. What goes in the drop bag?

6:35 pm Saturday, April 18, 2009

After a 3.5 hour drive home, including getting groceries in the city as I passed through; unpacking and putting away…I finally got to sit on my own toilet and then said, “Thank you Jesus.”

50K (31 miles), 5:24:00 official time (included two potty stops and stopping at all aid stations), FIRST PLACE MASTER FEMALE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wildlife: one armadillo (dead), one bunny rabbit, one turtle (cool, my totem).

I was a wise virgin: carried my hydropak even though there were “supposed” to be aid stations every three miles. After the 13 miles aid station went missing I was totally glad. At the 16 mile aid station, there was plenty of liquids but no cups so I filled up. It turned out to be a somewhat hot day with no rain, so I was glad to have as much liquid as I wanted whenever I wanted. I wasn’t that happy about carrying that much liquid the whole race, but it turned out to be necessary. I ran about 10 minute miles the whole way. I passed a bunch of marathoners who had a 5 mile head start. You know they were hurting. Especially at the finish I felt a little like a jerk to be walking normal while some of the marathoners were about to fall down.

I was such a running machine!

The world’s most boring 50K course: flat except for really long low grades, along an old RR track. Only one beautiful place while crossing a huge river.

At the finish line…yes…I did one of those hands in the air celebrations, since there was a photographer. And, after they gave me my plaque, I had the photographer take my picture holding it with my face having a big stupid grin! The medal is really nice.

After changing my clothes, I was on the road within 20 minutes. The green smoothie was delicious! My calves are really “lactic-ed” out.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Congratulations! You definitely earned your plaque. Very smart taking the hydropak.

Unknown said...

excellent job - i touched base with you a little at the start. it sounds like you ran a wise race, me on the other hand, got a bit ambitious and faded hard over the last ten miles. hope to see you out at some event in the future.