Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hawk Marathon - Prelude





Here is where I will be on Saturday. I'm doing a 26.2 mile endurance run on a trail. Well, most of the trail is less rocky than this; and a tiny part is more rocky. It will take me a really long time to jog my way through the mileage without tripping and falling.

This run is called a race because someone will get to the finish first and "win." This run is called a marathon because it is 26.2 miles. I would be just as happy running a 25 mile run. I don't need to say I ran  marathon. I don't need to call it a race as I will certainly not be trying to beat anybody, including the clock.

I am tired of people judging me by asking how fast I ran my last marathon. I really don't race marathons, I run them. Going fast is too much work.

When I was out running this morning I was having my current mental struggle related to the Boston Marathon. I qualified by 15 minutes; so it is likely I would get in if I applied. This week, the travel company opened registration for hotel rooms. I should reserve one now if I'm planning on going. Other people want me to go to Boston. Other people have spent time and energy telling me I "have" to go.

I don't want to go. I've never wanted to go. I'd rather run on these crummy rocks by a lake in Kansas.

To thine own self be true; or thou canst be true to no man.

No comments: