Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Course in Miracles

When you pick up The Course, decide to take it seriously, and devote your energy and effort to learning, then you enter a very intimate and personal relationship with Jesus which is like no other. It is prolonged; even a sample of eternal living. Jesus helps you examine yourself and change your perception in ways you never dreamed possible.

This evening, I meditated briefly on my lesson for today (God is the strength in which I trust), and discovered this huge gaping hole in my psyche. How little I trust and rely on God! I looked at my retirement plan, the locks on my doors, my careful dietary plan, all the little games I play with people to ensure that they not only approve of me but that they don't cheat me. Religion itself is one big spiritual insurance policy, based on the idea that God could punish us. I can't just stop my lack of trust, but as I take my inventory, I offer what I find to Jesus. Then it is in his hands and I can cease to worry about it.

I must trust and rely on God. None but a Higher Power can restore me to sanity.

No comments: