Saturday, June 11, 2016

Training and in the Zone

I have had a fantastic day.

First, the alarm went off at 5:15 am. Eeeek! But I made it out of bed at 5:30.

Then I decided to go to Brummerhop park so I could leave my newly washed car in the garage. There was a few dribbles coming from the sky, but still 77F.

I started running. It felt pretty good. I was getting more than 13 laps per hour which is good. I did get soaked in a downpour. Then the sun came full out. Oh boy! I stopped running at 10 miles, and walked one more mile. My speed was very near 5 mph, which doesn't sound very fast until you realize the humidity. When I got home, I looked at the weather and the humidex was 99F. I felt damn proud of being able to run 10 miles at all let alone in a hot shower. While running, I was glad to see that I am recovered from my triple marathon. 

Then this afternoon I did some cross training inside. First was an elliptical/versa climber combo. I did 5 min on the elliptical and one minute on the versa climber. I was really going fast and feeling good about the elliptical and then doing the full 20" on the versa climber. Total of 60 min on elliptical and 10 min on versa climber. I like that really long pull on the versa climber because it engages my arms and core. Second I did a nordic track/ trx combo. I did 5 min on the nordic and then switched to the trx for one round/ 5 reps of my 6 exercises. I was less energetic for this and quit with 40 min of nordic and 25 min of trx. I added 100 crunches to the tail end.

While I was working out this afternoon I felt like I was in the zone. I realized I must have been in the zone this morning. Feeling strong and painless, I feel like an athlete. It is cool.

No really, being able to run 10 miles at age 57 is incredible. It feels incredible. For once I noticed that I don't have to be in a race to be in the zone. I just have to feel good. I felt good today.

No comments: