Saturday, January 12, 2013

Private Marathon - 54th Birthday

Its my birthday!

I suppose I'm a normal athlete. We like to do outrageous things on our birthdays. I told you already about my 5.4 cross training workout. I did that last night.

The rest of the weekend was supposed to involve a Reverse Goofy. That is, if I was in Disney World this weekend, I could run a half marathon today and a full marathon tomorrow; and that is a Goofy. Disney World is really about the last place I'd ever choose to go. But, the idea of doing a private Goofy did surface in my mind since I have good friends doing authentic Goofys.

Today, the marathon portion of my Reverse Goofy was completed. I did really well with run/walk ultra race pace. (13.3 min per mile average including pit stops). Total time including pit stops: 6h02.

Saying I will run a private marathon and actually doing it, are two different things. And just because I know I can keep going for 50k doesn't mean I'll get 42k done today. Largely because my brain often gives up. So I never know. The mental game is crucial.

I ran today with A Course in Miracles lesson: "There is no death. The Son of God is free."

I just kept saying it over and over. I kept my brain right there. Only after 5 hours did I say a prayer: Higher Self, I really want to have a happier dream this year. Since becoming a Course student, I can for sure say that I have been dreaming a happier and happier dream. And when I turn my thoughts over to whatever this Self is, I have a happy day. And this is what I want out of live: non-misery.

Spirituality have been my quest since going to Jerusalem when I was 22. The quest deepened to "Shamelessly follow Jesus" as a result of the Columbine shootings in 1999. The quest deepened again after I got kicked out of the monastery. The first 6 or 7 years after leaving the convent, I tried every possible way to achieve enlightenment. But then, my road swerved and the dogma of enlightenment left me. Now I have been A Course in Miracles student for about 5.5 years. It is not about enlightenment but salvation. Not the denominational Christianity type salvation but true mental freedom salvation.

I talk about spirituality because it is a "piece that cannot be moved" in my life. I have the quest and it is not stopping. Being an athlete is another non-negotiable. Yes, I'm not as fast as 2 years ago, and I do have aches and pains. But the energy of endurance continues to flow.

Tomorrow, I'll finish the Reverse Goofy. Easy peasy. All downhill.

No comments: