Thursday, February 11, 2021

Polar Retreat Day 5

 Day 5, Thursday, is today. I am writing this late in the evening of Thursday. We are expecting a big dip in temperatures for the next 4 days. Down into the cold valley we go, get some snow, and then slowly climb out. Be patient. Hold tight. 

Good thing I didn't try to drive to Houston today. There was ice on the roads and a huge accident around Fort Worth, one of my favorite places. 

Today, I ran 8.3 miles outside. I did laps around my complex. It was a little bit windy, so my face got a bit colder. This evening I walked 4 miles on the treadmill. I don't know if I'll go outside to run tomorrow. It is supposed to be colder and windier. 

Today, I went out for a late lunch with a friend. It is the first time I've been out with anyone in months. We picked a very uncrowded restaurant. It was weird to sit and talk and eat without a mask. But it was tremendous to talk to someone for a long time.

My college English class is focused on Plato's cave. Interesting to answer deep questions I should've answered 40 years ago. But when I went to college the first time, I was focused on getting an engineering degree and getting a job. I knew nothing about weightier questions like, "What makes life worth living?" or "Who are you really?" I had no answers. I just wanted to make money so I could move out of the alcoholic household I grew up in. Actually, I honor myself for taking care of myself. After I started my career, much of my life was focused on earning money so I could quit, and then do what I wanted with my life. 

So now, finally retired, I can think about who I really am. I have 30 more years of living available. I am in college and taking English composition and rhetoric. I am learning to write kick-ass essays. I am stuck in the house for a few more days, so I will be pondering Plato and symbolism and answering hard questions with essays. 




No comments: