Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Polar Retreat 10 - end

 This is the last day of my Polar Retreat. Tomorrow will still be cold and maybe snowy, but not polar cold. 

It was like -11degF last night. 

Thanks to some Texas power plants being offline, power in Missouri was stressed. This morning at 8am, my power shut off for 30 minutes. The temperature in the house went from 63 to 59. 

This morning, I got my car warmed up and drove a half mile to the gas station to top off the gas tank. The car is good. I have two faucets in an outside wall which I have had dribbling for three days. I didn't want those pipes to freeze. I'll shut them off tomorrow. I'll do laundry tomorrow. Because of the power shortage, our local power company has asked us not to run dryers. ok. I have on new underwear. 

Classes have been canceled today. I need to study for a philosophy quiz. I've been reading a book about the cost of college so I've learned about merit awards. That is, almost no one pays full price for college. People either get need grants or merit awards. This caused me to check out the web page of a local private college, William Jewell. I saw that they have published the price tag for community college transfer students. It was very reasonable. That gives me hope. My retirement plans are to be a scholar and an athlete. I'd hate to quit the scholar part just because it was too expensive. 

This morning, I rode my elliptical for an hour. Ran fast on the treadmill for 3 miles. Then went outside to jog for another 5.1 miles.

I like Tuesday nights. I usually have class from 6:30 to 8. Then there are two ultra-running live streams to listen to, beginning at 8 and at 9. I play free cell and listen to the latest in the distance running world.










No comments: