Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Polar Retreat Day 4

 I just watched the 13 minute video of Trump's mob storming the capitol on January 6. It is very disturbing but I suggest everyone watch it. I fully believe that Trump needs to be held accountable (ie punished) for his lies and instigation of violence. 

Yesterday's exercise: 60 minutes on elliptical, 35 minutes running really fast on the treadmill, 75 minutes walking uphill on the treadmill.

I attended my philosophy class via zoom last night. Then I watched my usual 2 podcasts related to ultra-running. Looking forward to the Black Canyon Ultra this weekend. It is to be live-streamed. Several big names going for golden tickets. 

This morning I noticed that the roads in the complex were mostly dry, though salt covered. It was 10degF and not too windy. So I ran laps around the complex for 8.4 miles. I am very happy with that. 

I wasn't able to get right to sleep last night so I did some reading. I still woke up at 7 though. 

I am pretty much at peace with the solitude. I wish it was a little warmer, or that no more snow was forecast, but otherwise, my life is sort of normal. Thinking, writing, reading, running. I am getting tired of the book "Caste" because there are only so many stories of whites brutalizing blacks that I am interested in reading. I did read an interesting proposal this morning which sort of explains Trump's working-class white mob. A moment of, "Oh, that's why they follow him." But also, I should stop and reflect that had I been the wife of a Southern white in 1950, I probably would have stood around and watched lynchings, hoping no one noticed me. It is true that most of us would have supported Hitler had we been German. 

How do you step outside the mainstream, the mob, and stand for peace and equality? Well, I guess you pay the price of violence to your physical apparatus. 

Day by day, my older friends are texting out that they got the shot. I'm happy for them. It is easy to become a tad bit annoyed knowing that I won't be eligible to get a shot for months. But then I remember to celebrate well being. I have incredible good health and well being. I celebrate that I am not in one of the sickly groups who go to the head of the line. I'm 62 years old and I ran 8 miles at 11 minutes per mile in the bitter cold this morning. Celebrate. Drink another green tea.

Picture of a bare salty road in the complex:


Today's weather. 



No comments: