Friday, May 25, 2012

ORW - Prelude

I'm getting ready to go to Ottawa Canada to run a half marathon. Tomorrow, Saturday, I fly. I'll be met at the airport by a running maniac friend and we will zip into town in time to watch the evening races. I'll be meeting some new people and cheering them in their 10k. On Sunday, I run a half marathon at easy pace with a new internet friend.

Today, Friday, I took a day off work. I slept for 11 hours! And then, after running errands, and after the Houston weather had got to 85F, I went for a 2 hour jog. Yes, I can run in heat and humidity.

Now I have done some packing and eating and soon will do the evening workout.

I marvel at the status of my life. There are so many places where a path had to be chosen and radically different outcomes ensued. I could've stayed in California instead of moving to Missouri. I could've stayed a drunk rather than get sober. I could've skipped the monastery. I could've skipped Texas. I could've got fat and sick. I could've stayed a Catholic, or become a Buddhist.

Have I learned anything? I have learned peace; even in the midst of a busy city existence. I have to find the secret of the desert monks in the midst of cars, airports and a huge chempark.

I find this existence in my living room as I ride my elliptical. I find it in the tiny park across the street where one lap in 0.28 miles but trees provide shade. At the back of the park is a swamp. Birds with long legs find their lunch. Snakes perch on fallen logs.

In the desert, I find Christ within. I find love in all the other people I meet. I find that deep well of the Hidden Christ in the silence within.

No comments: