Saturday, September 3, 2011

Silverton 1000 - Ego Busted

I am in Silverton Colorado for a 72 hour running race. I came out here very unsure that I could run 100 miles in 3 days, but it took all day yesterday to prove it to my ego. No belt buckle for me, but a great showing for a flatlander. I ran 31 miles yesterday and threw in the towel as day light waned. I won't go that far today as I am a little on edge with an injury and quite tired of oxygen deprivation. Yes, 9000+ feet is hard to run in.

This is my first multi-day event  There are some awesome people here and runners who stick to "keeping going" and don't ever ask themselves the questions I do about when its time to let go and stop. My ultra running short coming is my unwillingness to destroy my body; hence my mileage is usually a little short of the world's prizes.

As I lay in bed last night, not sleeping with heart racing, I recited my spiritual litany to myself. I returned to my soul connection. I realized that its not the number of miles but how I was spiritually as I did them.

Now times awasting. I need to get my food together and get back to the course.

Silverton is a beautiful place.

No comments: