Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Falling Star

"The Holy Spirit offers you release from every problem that you think you have. They are the same to Him because each one, regardless of the form it seems to take, is a demand that someone suffer loss and make a sacrifice that you might gain. And when the situation is worked out so no one loses is the problem gone, because it was an error in perception that now has been corrected. One mistake is not more difficult for Him to bring to truth than is another. For there is but one mistake; the whole idea that loss is possible, and could result in gain for anyone. If this were true, then God would be unfair; sin would be possible, attack be justified and vengeance fair." (ACIM text 26.II)

When I think I have a problem with someone, I need some way to look at it other than my own. One thing to do is to turn the problem over to the Holy Spirit. A key point of ACIM is to realize that what I think I see is what I wanted to see. It cannot be a correct perception because God is love and would only create love (period I might add). So if I am bothered by the world, it is because I am not seeing things correctly; and so I turn to the Holy Spirit for help in seeing things correctly.

It is reminiscent of the 3rd step of AA: "Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God..."

After I turn a problem over to the Holy Spirit and admit I must be wrong, it is oh so easy to do it over and over, whenever the thoughts take up the incorrect litany of life: how unfair how I think it is and how I should go straighten it out.

This morning, I was practicing my turning over as I was out running. I had just had a resentful thought and asked the Holy Spirit for help when I looked up and saw a bright falling star. It was as if the Holy Spirit had said, "Stop it!" I mean really loud, I suddenly understood that I needed to let the stars fall. Let them go. Let God decide for me. I have no opinions because I don't see things correctly.

Herein is real peace.

No comments: