Sunday, July 18, 2010

Merely Being an Athlete


(living room gym: bike, tm, ball, mat, weights, nordic track)
ACIM Workbook Lesson 169:

"Grace is acceptance of the Love of God within a world of seeming hate and fear. By grace alone the hate and fear are gone, for grace presents a state so opposite to everything the world contains, that those whose minds are lighted by the gift of grace can not believe the world of fear is real."

"Oneness is simply the idea God is. And in His Being, He encompasses all things. No mind holds anything but Him. We say “God is,” and then we cease to speak, for in that knowledge words are meaningless. There are no lips to speak them, and no part of mind sufficiently distinct to feel that it is now aware of something not itself. It has united with its Source. And like its Source Itself, it merely is."

Today I've decided to do my workout in the solitude of my apartment. Yes, it is hot outside, but cloudy so it would not be too bad if I went running. Working out in my apartment takes away any purpose for the body. I have the opportunity to pause and merely be. In solitude, I accept the Love of God and relate to the oneness idea: God is.

The punch line of lesson 169 is: "By grace I live. By grace I am released."

And so I mount my ex-bike for the first interval of what turns out to be a 3h20min workout split between the bike, the treadmill and the nordic track. Most of the time is spent on the nordic. I spend most of the time with my eyes shut. Nothing to see or do but burn calories, exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide and ponder the lesson.

By grace I live....by grace I live....by grace I live....

At first, I have not a clue what is meant by grace.

By grace I am released.....by grace I am released....

Still nothing.

Time goes by. I do have a few reflections on my method of working out. I have entered a reality of suspended-animation-of-sorts. Within this cocoon, I focus intensely on one thing: grace. WTF is it?

I allow silence to permeate my workout. I realize the non-optionality of silence. Everything in this world is a distraction from God.

Imagine being an athlete in this silent cocoon of a one bedroom apartment. Imagine being an athlete for its own sake; that is, with no ego benefit due to a lack of public component. No one sees or knows who or what you are. The purest form of being an athlete is to just be one, period.

By grace I live: I surrender to God. By grace I am release: I need do nothing. I need stop doing anything which interferes with knowing the silent Presence (duh, most of every outside activity).
By grace I live. By grace I am released.


No comments: