Saturday, August 29, 2015

Yearning for The Almighty

A few years ago, entering the convent, I hoped to find God as this picture suggests;


Yes, this picture tells the whole story of what I believed. Take a careful look at all the symbolism. think about Bible mythology, Church mythology, Jesus savior mythology, etc. Let go of the clouds. Go thru the clouds. Go into your beliefs and into your deepest yearning. Sit there with it.

Today, I read in A Course in Miracles, "Hold your mind in silent readiness to hear the Voice that speaks the truth..."  It is so simple.

Here is the same picture. It looks a bit different because it is a different religious order and a different church. It comes from the monastery where I was. If you could see all of the nave, you would see all the same symbols as the picture above.


Monastics are looking for something. Since I did not consummate my religious vocation, I had to look for "something" out here in the world.

Today, I look more like this picture (this is not me and not the plant where I work):


I had to find spirituality outside the religious trappings. I had to find a God of my own understanding. It couldn't be a Catholic god, or Ekhart Tolle's god, or anyone's god.

The same yearning I had which caused me to go to the monastery is still with me. It causes me to meditate, search through various spiritual writings, listen to the silence in my mind. That's it. I have the spirituality I have.

No comments: