Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Oldest Woman



I don't suppose 56 is all that old. Actually, I thought I was 57 until ultrasignup.com corrected me. At 56, I am the oldest female in an ultramarathon to take place today. It starts at high noon in the middle of Texas. The main challenge is that it is hot. It will take me about 9 hours to walk and jog my way through 32 miles.

Today, I am on lesson 69 in A Course in Miracles: My grievances hide the light of the world in me. I am also reading The Power of Now by Tolle for the second time. The ACIM "light of the world" is Tolle's Now, pure consciousness, Presence, the life in me. So the point of doing this race today is to practice being being.

Yes I meant to say "being being." Or rather, being Being. Out there in the heat, in a forest park, I'll be saying my ACIM lesson. Every so often, I'll say "good job" to some passing racer. No doubt I'll get into a conversation with some one. I'll be thanking the aid station volunteers for their help. At the end, I'll get my medal, get in the car and come home.

It doesn't really matter if I finish today. It matters that I was there.



No comments: