Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Day to Make You Think

This morning, I woke up well before the alarm clock and got up. I got my courage together in order to make it out of bed. You would not think a person like me needs to do that, but I do. I don't really understand the difficulty in terms other than momentum. Once I am moving, I am moving.

I was reading in A Course in Miracles text 2.V.18: "I am here only to be truly helpful. I am here to represent Him Who sent me. I do not have to worry about what to say or what to do, because He Who sent me will direct me. I am content to be wherever He wishes, knowing He goes there with me. I will be healed as I let Him teach me to heal."

It comforts me think I do not have to worry; that He is here to direct me. I do feel content to be where He wishes.

I did not memorize any phrases today so I did my jogging with my dream of an expedition and what will fill my 3,000 cubic inches. The thing about the expedition, as hard as the running will be, the idea of camping is more mind boggling.

It is still hot and humid in Houston. The mosquitoes were viscous today. Lots of runners were out on the trails.

I kept going until I ran through the 90 oz of liquids I had available: 4h33min. It was hard. I'm not really ready for Top of Utah marathon. But training in the summer in Houston is just impossible.

Something about the heat and the sweat gives me a life or death outlook. I drink alot. I keep the calories coming. It is too easy to begin to feel like a swoon is coming on.

But compared to my dreams, 4 hours of jogging is nothing. I got less than a fifth of the miles needed for Snowdrop in December. For Desert RATS, I can only obtain maximum fitness for me, but no where near the miles needed.

That is the thing about ultra running. You can't train for one; except mentally.

My day makes me think. Wow! How will I do any upcoming race?

On a weekly basis however, I can build fitness. This week, with one holiday, I got 75+ miles and 22+ hours.

No comments: