Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Can't Wait for Miles

It is Tuesday morning. I went for a fantastic jog at 5 am. It was of course warm and sweaty as Houston is this time of year. I felt great.

Starting Friday at 12:00am, I begin a 7 day race. It is a virtual race, using my fitbit synced to Matchio. Others are in the race and if I get 100 miles, I'll get a belt buckle. For the first time in years, I have 10 days off work; without needing surgery to get it. I am healthy. I love it. Time to sweat. Time for miles. My own bed. Showers and toilets.

Shopping list this week tells the story: Gatorade G2, grapefruit juice, lemonade, Coke, Red Bull, Starbucks, 5 Hour Energy...  I think I'm planning on being thirsty.

I don't care that it is a "virtual" race. I'm happy to go without the hours of travel, hotels, cost of airplanes and rental cars. I know I will do what I can. If someone else isn't, I don't care. It is me and my body and the heat. No special race course. No roots or rocks or mountains. In fact, some of the miles in the middle of the night or the middle of the afternoon will be done on a treadmill. Some of the laps might be done back and forth on my street since it is a gated village.

I've been fascinated by multi-days for several years. I've done my own private multi-days before. traveling to a race really does take alot out of me; although the cameraderie on the course is tremendous. Into the future, I see less of my own entries into public races as I attempt to live in a budget. I don't really like what I see for-profit race directors doing.

I accept inner swag.

Its just miles.

No comments: