Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lesson 2

ACIM workbook 2: I have given everything I see all the meaning it has for me.

Part 1 of the work book is for undoing the way you see now. Part 2 is for acquiring true perception. This is my 5th time through the work book. Seeing things different is why I work on A Course in Miracles.

Plotinus 6.8.13: "As long as a thing is apart from its good, it seeks outside itself...It may be added that nothing else contains in its essence the principle of its own satisfaction; there will be inner discord: but this hypostasis of The Good must necessarily have self-option, the will towards the self; if it had not, it could not bring satisfaction to the beings whose contentment demands participation in it or imagination of it."

Plotinus is a difficult read; especially since I have no philosophical education. However, almost every day, a little gem crosses my mind. What crossed my mind this morning is that we cannot find what we seek outside ourselves and only participation in the Good will bring satisfaction. We have heard this right? It is not the sole domain of Christianity. In fact one could argue that Christianity adopted much from philosophy; that Truth is true no matter who got it first.

"Not seeking outside myself" is part of my quandary between monastic practices and the world. It is part of my idea of downward mobility, simplicity, becoming as little as possible, no specialness.

No comments: