Thursday, March 4, 2021

Psychic Epidemics

 I am just sharing something I read and thought interesting. I have to question myself: what psychic epidemics am I participating in? How is my mind infected?

Carl Jung wrote of the dangers of what he called psychic epidemics, collective outbursts of mass psychosis that can take hold of entire societies and sweep them along to disaster. Having witnessed both World Wars, he warned that these were not unique events:  “the gigantic catastrophes that threaten us today,” he wrote, “are not elemental happenings of a physical or biological order, but psychic events.  To a quite terrifying degree we are threatened by psychic epidemics.” 

What should you do?

This is a good time to walk away from activities that bring you too close to the collective mind.

Second, put more time into your spiritual life. That’s a risky thing to suggest just now because certain modes of popular spirituality function very efficiently just now as conduits for the psychic epidemic building around us

Third, spend time outdoors in nature as often as possible.



1 comment:

Jenny said...

Good, actionable advice.