Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 was a Good Year

In 2020, I ran 3,016 miles. This amazing number is brought to you by covid unemployment. I got a number of weeks off work during the shutdown, but then I quit my part-time gig altogether in October. Since many running races were canceled in 2020, I completed numerous virtual races and obtained much swag as a result. Running virtual races did give me something to look forward to. I was surprised at how seriously I took them.

By the time November rolled around, I broke the rules and went to Dallas for 2 real races. By November, smaller races had figured out social distancing protocols so we could all be safe and run races too. I also had the very great pleasure of giving my Godmother a ride to Dallas so she could see her grandson for Thanksgiving. We all did due diligence regarding covid safety and no one got sick.

In 2020, I became a college student. It began with the idea that I could take some English composition courses to improve my writing. It has continued on because I would like to learn more about the humanities. As an engineering student 40 years ago, I took mostly math and science in college. Now, I want to be educated in philosophy. I am also taking a philosophy course online from MIT. It is very difficult and way over my head, but at least I've been exposed to deep concepts and will be able to assimilate them over time.

In 2020, I've been filled with well being. I've realized that I have many friends even if I don't see them as much. I've reached out more and had great conversations on the phone. I've read many interesting books. Thank you Mid-Continent Public Library for your service.

In 2020, I've spent more time on the news. At the start of the lock down, I subscribed to The New York Times and The Atlantic. I've liked access to longer articles and focuses than I'd get from scrolling through my phone on Apple or Google News. Most of all, I've subscribed to Heather Cox Richardson's daily newsletter. She is a history professor. I've been astounded at her knowledge of history, much of which I didn't know, and her analysis of politics. It has been wonderful to hear the news without hype or mainstream media.

In 2020, I prospered. I expanded mentally, emotionally, and economically. It is lovely to have investments work out or to have the government send you money. But of much greater prosperous evidence is thinking and feeling abundant, or feeling connected to your higher consciousness. Higher consciousness is actually a misnomer. Higher consciousness is an inherent quality, one is never without it. Consciousness is.period. Get quiet and you'll know it is there.

In 2020, everything worked out for me. 

 On New Year's Eve, I went for a 14 mile run. The sun was out and it was about 30F. Went on one of my favorite routes. I jogged the whole way. I am in great appreciation of my ability to do this.

A picture at Hodge Park Golf course:


The trees had ice on them from a storm 2 days earlier. The ice was all sparkly in the sun.

Here is a brief clip from Hodge Park:


And then, yesterday it snowed. The 6" of snow means no running outside until I can find some bare pavement. I think by tomorrow, I'll be able to run around the little complex where I live. Our guys do a great job of clearing roads and sidewalks. I did go for a walk during the heaviest snowfall yesterday:


I wore microspikes for this walk:









1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thank you for pointing me to Heather Cox Richards. I have learned a lot from her! Here’s to continued abundance in 2021!