Saturday, November 21, 2009

Koln Personal Long Distance Event

I got up at 5:30 and did a tiny amount of spiritual study with a small coffee. I didn't drink the normal amount because I was about to take a long run in a city where I have yet to discern a public restroom or even a adequate bush!I loaded the Nathan hydropak left the hotel at 6:30, still dark, cloudy and about 54F (warm). I head north along the Rhine planning to cross at the Mulheim bridge and come back.


An hour and 15 minutes later, I can see the Bayer Chempark in Leuverkeusen across the river...gulp...I must have missed the bridge. Not the first time I've been lost on a bike path, but lost a bridge? I am slipping.I turn around at the Ford plant because the bike path goes away from the river to get around the plant.
.
Heading back south I finally get the bridge situation straightened out. The bridge I've been running to every night was actually the Mulheim and not the Zoobrueke. Now I cross the Monheim bridge and continue south along the river to a point where there is a fence across the path. What? The beach resort? Shoot! I go inland to a road which runs along the backs of some warehouses. I'm glad I didn't try to do this in the dark! After a mile or so, I find a place near the Zoobrueke bridge to get back to the river. There is a nice park here which I may come back to tomorrow. I've been running about 2 hours and 30 minutes. It is not time to go home; home is just across the river. I am having a magic day where I haven't had to pee or poop during this run. So I run around the park once and experience some peace and quiet, realizing I'm out of patience with being lost. Then I run south to the Severinsbrucke and turn around.

Koln Seagulls

Haha, look at the "flock" of seagulls lined up at this one place. I come back north to the park and the Zoobrueke. It is time to go home if I want to get some food and coffee before the hotel breakfast bar shuts down.
.
Home I go, The run was 3 hours and 48 minutes. I dawdled some taking pictures; but I judge it to be between 20 and 21 miles.
.
This afternoon, I plan to walk to a huge sporting goods store and a health food store.

No comments: