Saturday, October 17, 2020

NYC Marathon

It is 2020. Most of the races I like to go in have been cancelled. Instead, I've had some virtual bucket list races. New York City virtual marathon s the last of my virtual races. I've put together a cool swag display for 2020, the pandemic year, the Black Lives Matter year, the strangest presidential election year. 

I decided to do the NYC marathon today, on the first day of the race, because it is the last warm and dry day for awhile. Haha: warm. Just a couple of weeks ago, I would've picked the coolest day. Now that it is mid-October, I'm picking the warmest day. I got started at 7 am. A beautiful sunrise over Happy Rock Park.




You can check out my Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/4207964320
 

My overall time was pretty slow because of pit stops. I jogged the first 10 miles in 2 hours, then switched to 3x2 jog/walk pattern. However, I was pleased with the effort. My feet didn't hurt that bad and I  didn't get any blisters. I didn't have to drink as much Gatorade as when it is hotter weather, and no salt tablets were needed. 

To complete a virtual marathon, I actually need to prepare the night before and get up early just like I would for a real marathon. I need to let my body and brain know that this is a real thing, and we do need to get out of bed and get going. The virtual marathon hurts as much as a real marathon, but it is very lonely. My times are usually faster for a real marathon, because I actually race. By myself, I just aim to finish the distance without too much trauma. Since I need to provide my own aid stations, I usually pick a course where I go by my house or my car periodically. Today that meant 3 long laps. 

Most of the leaves are gone from the trees. Winter is coming. I probably won't sign up for any more virtual marathons. Once it gets real cold, I can't spend 6+ hours outside. And I don't want to use a treadmill for a marathon. I have a real ultra-marathon in 2 weeks. I may also sign up for some small marathons which I know about, in Dallas where it is warm. But I'm done with the virtual business.

Stay patient everyone. The pandemic isn't over. 



No comments: