Saturday, December 28, 2019

Incorrigible -- A Runner Celebrates 61 Years of Life

It is the eve of my 61st birthday. I just spent 90 minutes walking up the steep treadmill hill with a 10 pound backpack. It snowed today and it is very cold, not worth going outside wearing snow cleats on my shoes.

My first purchase of 2020 was a race entry. My second purchase was another pair of running shoes. How many 61 year olds do you know who spend the morning thinking about where they should run and how far? That day, I got in 10.2 miles in just under 2 hours. That is awesome! I love that I can go out for a 10 mile run anytime I feel like it. I am incorrigible in that regard.

My year was highlighted by several successful races. At the Kansas City marathon, I ran 4:49 and got second place in my age group. In November, I completed 50 miles in a race. This ultra was such an experience of the zone. It was amazing.

I have been working on a book for 3 years. I can say that during 2019, I finished typing all the notes, did a great deal of neuro science and addiction research, finally got the introductions to each chapter completed. I learned about self publishing. I'm certain that in the first half of 2020, I'll find an editor. I have a sketch of the cover which I may ask one of my barista buddies to draw for me. After another round of my own editing, I have a couple of people willing to read the book and comment on it for me.

I've become a proficient barista and I like working at my current store. I went to alot of AA meetings, culminating with speaking at an alcathon on New Year's Eve. I got two sinus infections. During the first one, I learned that doctors can't help you. During the second one, I learned that several natural remedies are very helpful. I listened to many Abraham Hicks YouTube videos. As a result of practicing what Abraham discusses, my attitudes and emotional states improved dramatically for what seems like the first time in my life. I wrote alot (aside from my book). I thought alot, and my ponderings are what I write down. I'm one of those rare persons who prioritizes sitting and thinking as an important activity. 

2019 was successful and I think 2020 will be even more wonderful.

No comments: