Monday, March 11, 2019

Women Rowing North

Book review "Women Rowing North" by Mary Pipher.

I heard the author on the radio and I was intrigued by what she had to say. What she has to say is tons better than her book. Anyway, I got the book from the library and have now read it.

As a 60 year old woman, I find this a worthless book. I'm probably not old enough to appreciate it. I was hoping for insight into the meaning of later years; or get some inspiration for the upcoming journey. What you get is a litany of how bad everything will be; but no depth or ways to make meaning.

So, first, I know many women in their late seventies and they seem to be doing very well. My role models have lots of good stuff to tell me. Some of them are still athletes, ultra-marathoners. Some are solo hiking the Appalachian trail. Some sit in 12 step meetings and share great wisdom.

See, I'm also in a smaller non-typical demographic of "older woman." I'm still physically fit, though clearly not as fast as 10 years ago. I've never been married and not a mother, so used to being alone. I've started new projects and jobs for my life so my brain is getting new workouts. I associate with young people and keep up with them. I see the next 3 decades as phase 3 of my life and I plan to make them the most creative yet.

I've always thought that "old" was a state of mind and will stick with that opinion. I'll say that yes, the hair gets gray, the face wrinkled, and the bones in one of my feet have shifted around; but how you feel comes from the inside. Find that joy and project it. Then how old you are won't be a focus. Check out Abraham Hicks and aging on YouTube to learn more.

So if you want to find the joy of old age or be uplifted by the adventure of it, don't read this book. This book will only depress you with a bunch of sob stories.

No comments: