Sunday, February 24, 2019

Progress

Progress in warmer days coming I mean. I actually lusted for Texas today; where it is warm in the winter. Missouri is having an above average winter for precipitation and cold. The average cold since October 1 is number one on the charts.

Today, it was completely clear and sunny. The temperature mid-morning was about 26F, not getting much warmer. With a 20 mile per hour north wind, gusting to 35.

I was determined to go outside and do some miles, pretending I am an ultra-marathoner. Actually, I just wanted to lose myself in the miles. Hence, it didn't matter how fast I went, just get out there for a long time.

I decided to go to English Landing park. It is flat with some ice, but not much. I had on several layers, including my down jacket and hood. My face was covered whenever going into the wind.

I decided on low impact jogging, and walking on the ice areas. This went pretty well and I was able to take off my ice grips after the first 80 minutes. I kept it slow because I didn't want to sweat too much and I haven't been on a long run in more than two months. In all, I did 12.6 miles in 3:20.

Very happy I got out there.

I want to sign up for a race but still leery of cold weather. Like there is a half marathon next weekend, but it looks like it will be 11F that morning (brrrrr).

Today was also successful in that I got writing and typing done. I am remembering that I retired to be a writer, not a barista. I am a writer with a part time job; not a barista who writes occasionally. I went back to the library and signed up for some of their classes on writing and publishing.

Putting together my spiritual journey for my novel has been interesting. There have been 3 or 4 authors who strongly influenced my decision making. I'm just starting to face the Jesus dialogues written in my journal. Certainly a thing to contemplate.

Being here in Missouri, I get to attend sobriety anniversaries of people I've know for decades. Last Friday night, was a guy who is now 77, but not aging well. He was instrumental in my early sobriety. He won't be around (at least mentally) much longer. I felt my own mortality. I sat next to a guy I've know for a long time. Recently, his wife was killed in a drive by shooting; just a random victim. He is aging well. But also he kept saying, "It is so good to see you. I really missed you." He said the same thing 10 years ago when I wasn't going to meetings and he saw me in the grocery store.

Overall, I am happier than ever, on a very consistent basis. This could be because I left my career. More so I've been practicing having unconditional happiness. I finally figured out how to find happiness on the inside and then just use that feeling to pre-pave my day. I wish I could have figured this out while I still had my career, but maybe the career was contrary to my general life trajectory and it was time to move on.period. My higher self knows. I don't have any huge plans for my future. I am pushing my two writing projects forward a little bit everyday. Maybe in April I'll go in a race.

No comments: