Sunday, December 28, 2014

Snowdrop T- 1.5 and counting

Tomorrow is packet pickup. Tuesday 7 am is the start.

Today I did a 6.6 mile jog walk in El Lago. It was a good chance to practice wearing a rain suit. I realized that I'll have to save the impermeable rain suits for the real downpours on New Years Day. For cold and wind, I'll use Gortex and my Texas wind proof jacket. Layers and fleece underneath. Head swathed in hat and buff. I'll have the down parkas for really cold times. I have adequate gloves.

But you know, it is illogical and nonsensical to spend 30 hours over 3 days walking around a dirt path just for a belt buckle; or to say I ran 100 miles. So why do this?

It is a mental exercise. It requires me to hone my patience and perseverance. How do I keep going when my brain is insisting I stop. And my brain is right. Keeping going doesn't matter. Except in a non-physical sense.


Very few get the point of this. I'm not sure I do, except I keep doing it. Most friends I know say this doesn't make sense. They are right, it doesn't. The results are only in my mind.

No comments: