Tuesday, May 13, 2014

An Inconvenient Truth

I was laying in bed last night, not getting to sleep, mulling over my spiritual situation. This thought came over my brain waves: you bear the yoke of Christ.

Now that was a shocker. Despite what I think of churches and denominations, I bear the yoke of Christ. It cannot be removed. I read all sorts of opinions about God and Christianity. But I bear the yoke no matter what I think of them. Inesacapble truth.

And so I got up this morning as usual and did my spiritual study. I slammed into Lesson 186 of A Course in Miracles. (found here in entirety, lesson 186). But the pertinent points for me were:
-   acceptance of a part assigned to you, without insisting on another role
-   Let us not fight our function. We did not establish it. It is not our idea.
-   All false humility we lay aside today, that we may listen to God's Voice reveal to us what He would have us do
-   the Voice for God assures you that you have the strength, the wisdom and the holiness to go beyond all images
-   Arrogance makes an image of yourself that is not real...sensing its basis crumble. Let it go. Salvation of the world depends on you, and not upon this little pile of dust...like wind-swept leaves...like mirages seen above a desert...These unsubstantial images will go, and leave your mind unclouded and serene, when you accept the function given you
-  Do as God's Voice directs
-  Salvation of the world depends on you who can forgive

In ACIM, forgiveness is in fact "looking beyond." Looking beyond the dream of this world to Christ within, not of this world. I do in fact understand and practice ACIM forgiveness. This morning, I realized how insubstantial the roles in this world are. How we honor the role of a person instead of honoring the Christ in each.  You don't have to believe in God to honor the inner being of any person. That is the beauty of an atheist. Love just is; no need to attach religion or spirituality or God or any code of morals.

So for a little while this morning, my ego laid aside its frustration over being nobody and instead beheld TRUTH. I closed my eyes as I rode my elliptical and beheld Truth, the core of all which I call Christ. Yes, my vocabulary is corrupted by denominational words. But still, it is the essence which matters, the truth which sparked the word. Someone was beholding and they needed to exclaim. I am exclaiming now. TRUTH.

I bear the yoke of Christ. My way is quiet. In silence I listen to the Voice. And then I go to work. No monastic profession. No religious confirmation. No bowing or kneeling or professing allegiance. No specialness of any sort (thank you atheists). I just bear the yoke.

No comments: